Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry YouTube of Christmas past, present and future.

Go ahead and suspend your disbelief and imagine my present is sometime around 1997, because apparently I'm trying to have a nostalgia-filled Christmas out here in the BK.


"Christmas in Hollis" - Run-D.M.C., A Very Special Christmas, 1987, 7 years

We had this on tape and used to listen to it over and over andoverandoverandover again. And at 7, I appreciated the street cred. this song conferred upon me, the little girl from Rockaway, which was also in Queens.

Yes.

I'd never seen the video, however, until Pam sent it out this week. So I am thankful for Pam. Wrong holiday, but still.


"Fairytale of New York" - Dustin and Dervla Kirwen, Faith of Our Feathers, 1997, 17 years.


For those of you who don't know - which, until three days ago, included me - Dustin The Turkey was a puppet on Radio Telefís Éireann's The Den. Dervla Kirwan is probably known to those outside Ireland and the UK as Assumpta Fitzgerald in Ballykissangel - and if you don't know her from Ballykissangel, you might know her as Assumpta Fitzgerald from Ballykissangel on a Father Ted special. Ah, see that there? That's recognition dawning, right? Right.

Whatever. Say yes.

So, Pogues' song, had never heard it before and can't figure out how I managed that for so long, but Pilate (now Pilot Speed) covered it on Nettwerk Music Group's "Maybe This Christmas Tree" in 2004 and I just downloaded it last week, and now it's on repeat on my iPod. So now you know.


"White Winter Hymnal" - Fleet Foxes, The Fleet Foxes, 2008, 28 years.


It's just sweet.


And one more for the road - the WPIX Yule Log! Yes! This was always on WPIX Channel 11 at Christmas when I was growing up.



Love youse guys -
Liz

1 comment:

Pam PF said...

My cousin tried to tape the Yule log so we could watch it during Christmas afternoon this year! Sadly, it didn't work.