Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Things I would do on dates

You went there, didn’t you.


There are certain things that make sense as first dates, or second dates, or much-later-in-the-relationship dates. And I think, as a collective mind, we often get these steps all mixed up. So, after reading stuff@night’s “The Guy Issue” while having a couple of vodka and juices, (side note – who does that? People who haven’t gone to the gym in a week and feel good because they’ve managed to make their leg shake do that, clearly. Not alcoholics.) I have decided that you would all find it absolutely hysterical if I made a list of acceptable activities to plan dates around.

Please note that these are dates I personally would enjoy going on, and their practicality hinges entirely on the guy who is going on the date with me.

Additionally, I feel that I must point out that while I individualistically can see all of the dates in the “Other Date” category as satisfactory second dates, that does not mean that every guy I might date would warm up to the ideas suggested within, and thus some of these activities should be held in reserve until subsequent dates. Also, the first dates can all be considered for ensuing dates.

Date date date date date, date date date date, date date date date date date, date! (it's a song)

And now, since every Google search performed for “date” in the next 48 hours will link here, may I present, again, for the first time:


Things I Would Do On Dates


First Date
Get a drink at a regular, after work bar
Get a drink at a sports bar
Karaoke
Go to a dive bar

Go to an amusement park/fair (expensive!)
Go to an arcade-type place (think Jillian’s)
Play pool (poorly)
Alliterate
Hit up some batting cages
Stake out spots and see a show in the park
Catch a comedy show
Go out to dinner
Go out to lunch
Go rollerblading
Go to the beach
Snowboard
Sail (not that I know how)
Spend the day in a park
Go to a wine bar

Other Dates
Go to a live sporting event
Go to a show that requires that you not speak to each other for the duration
Watch a burlesque show
Surf
Go for a run
Go to a wine-tasting
Go to a scotch-tasting
Attempt a pub crawl
Do anything during which I run the risk of appearing super competitive
Cook
Go to an expensive restaurant
Go to a bar where the cocktails cost more than four gallons of gas
Go to an “upscale” strip club
See a movie
Play frisbee
Take a picnic to a park
Take a picnic to a secluded area
Hike
Go camping
Kayaking
Canoeing

Some things, like a burlesque, may be feasible before you've had your traditional third date relations - or, you know, whenever the kids are doing it these days. Can you imagine a bigger turn on? And some, like the (upscale) strip club, are probably better left to dates you go on after you've established yourselves as a force to be reckoned with (or with which to be reckoned, depending on where you went to school.) I mean, who wants to compete with that?

Let's be honest here. I, for one, know that I can not possibly shake my ass as fast as someone who gets paid to do it for her living. Seriously. Don't even try. Word to the wise.

Your turn. Actually, I’d like some input. It’s not like I’m all that good at this. Really, this is just a list of things I like to do. The guy’s pretty much optional.

(Also, if you can show me how to turn this post into two columns, you may not even need those first couple of dates. Rowwwr.)

6 comments:

Liz McKeon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz McKeon said...

Since Sky's not actually going to make the comment, I'll make it for him:

Mini Golf.

Always appropriate in my book.

(That's MY book, not Sky's book. Well, my book in addition to Sky's book. You get my drift.)

((MY drift.))

Sky said...

Keep your hands off my book. Touching my book is not in my First Dates list.

Liz McKeon said...

Touch(e)

Sky said...

Two more:

Corn maze -- First Date List (really)

Ritzy patio bar with a pre-pubescent boy playing/singing covers of John Denver and Jack Johnson. -- Not Ever Again List

Liz McKeon said...

I just realized that I posted "traditional third date relations". I rule.