Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Over the river . . .

I work in the woods. It’s really amazing how nobody believes me when I say that, but I work in the real, honest-to-God, cross-my-heart-and-hope-to-die, woods. And I work on the ground level of a building set into a hill. Now, these woods have turkeys. I don’t know how many of you have ever seen a wild turkey, but they’re tall birds, and, usually, they’re scrawny, and they’re dumb. Dumb, dumb birds.

So imagine being the new girl in the office, and looking up from your new desk and out of your new window to find a pack of wild turkeys staring in at you. It was like they’d come to visit the zoo.
“Welcome to Massachusetts, I work in the zoo.”

So the turkeys have been coming by on and off all winter, and since there hasn’t been much snow, they’ve had no problems finding food. So now they’re big, dumb birds. Watching them is like watching your Thanksgiving dinner wandering around outside your window. They’ll disappear over a hill and reappear on the crest ten feet off, and you’ll think, “Dinner! Ho!”

No one back home believes me, so I brought a camera in to work the other day. And of course, when they appeared, I ran outside after them, trying in vain to take their pictures.

Funny thing about wild animals – they run away.

Didn’t occur to me. My mom says it’s a good thing I don’t have to hunt to eat.

No comments: